WIX-SB-002

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Re: WIX-SB-002

Postby hickej » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:36 pm

I received my replacements this week and did the install this weekend. It wasn't that hard but it took me half the day. I had to remove my baggage compartment to get to the pulleys which need to be unbolted. I also removed the vtailcone fairing to reach the rear cable guides. The hardest part was going under the panel to get to the rudder pedals. I used to be much more agile.... The best part was testing. I had to make sure the plane would still loop and roll. I love my Waiex!!!

And did I mention the factory? Detection of a problem, rapid response, minimal paperwork ( send a picture of the offending part), parts arrived within a week of seeing the SB. That is how to run a company. Thanks again Sonex.

Jim
W162 TD 3300
hickej

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Glad to hear she's all good to go Jim! Now you can keep those awesome videos coming!

What's the next big trip you have on the radar?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby hickej » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:18 am

I just went to Delano CA and helped judge an aerobatic competition (basically I was a scribe). I'm working up the nerve to enter one... I'm planning to go to Chino for the AOPA convention, Barstow for the Jabiru seminar and I'm taking Jill (the riveting girl) to Sedona. Other than that, no big trips planned ;)
hickej

Postby fastj22 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Did the SB today. Kinda pain the butt. Had to remove the retaining posts for the aft pulleys to feed the new cables through. Working blind with a lot of duct tape and swearing.
The other pulleys allowed passage of the ends with some motivation. Lost one of the stand off bushings and needed to get out the iBoroscope to find it. Other than that, just some nicked knuckles and choice expletives during replacement. Its amazing the amount of dust you build up in the aft sections. Even found a pen and a flyer from Airventure back there.

Did I mention its a pain and the butt to work on anything near the pedals? But overall a good time to really inspect the mixer assembly.
I really do respect Sonex that they proactively addressed this. A pain in the butt for us, but they do have our backs.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby N111YX » Sun May 31, 2015 10:21 pm

I just got all four of my cables in last week (am I that last one?) and can offer a small hint. The hardest part for me was getting the circlips back on the cable fairleads. As hard as I tried, it's just not a one handed operation, at least while utilizing the small access panel that I cut for SB-001. After trying many different tools an techniques (and two additional brains on the project), I came up with the solution...

Insert only one half of the fairlead in the phenolic block, drape the circlip over it in the groove then have a helper push the other half of the circlip through the hole and if tension is applied on the clip at the right place, it will snap on.

That was a seven minute solution that cost me 6 hours and and a sore back... :cry:
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX