Tail Service Bulletin Inspection Plate

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Waiex.

Tail Service Bulletin Inspection Plate

Postby EricS » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm currently working on plans sheet WIX-F23 of S/N 0153. This kit had the tail service bulletin package sent out after the kit was delivered. I'm obviously incorporating the doubler strap and other components on the "Y" tail structure, but I'm wondering if it is necessary to install the lower aft fuselage access panel during the build process. I will have full access during the build, unlike a fully assembled aircraft.

Is there any reason why it might be good to have an inspection plate in that location for use down the road? Is this an area that should be inspected on a regular basis, hence maybe it's a good idea to have an extra access hole...? Any experiences would be appreciated. If it's beneficial to me later on, I'll install it now. Otherwise I won't bother. I asked Kerry at Sonex and he said he didn't see any reason why I would have to install it, but he also didn't give any reason why it might be good to have it for inspection purposes later.
Attachments
Inspection_Plate_Install_Aft_Fuselage (640x478).jpg
SB-Aft Lower Inspection Hole Drawings
Inspection_Plate_Install_Aft_Fuselage (640x478).jpg (162.87 KiB) Viewed 4190 times
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
http://www.mykitlog.com/EricS/
EricS

Re: Tail Service Bulletin Inspection Plate

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Eric,

When I was sent the Service Bulletin, I had not yet installed the lower aft fuselage skin on my plane. I performed the S/B then riveted on the bottom skin without installing the access cover plate. I figured if I needed it later I could add it but so far I haven't needed it.

Unless you want the access and cover plate for something later, I wouldn't worry about it.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Re: Tail Service Bulletin Inspection Plate

Postby EricS » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the input! That's kinda what I was thinking too. I can always add it later if need be.
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
http://www.mykitlog.com/EricS/
EricS

Return to Waiex