Need horizontal split cowl information

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Need horizontal split cowl information

Postby kmacht » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:41 pm

I decided a while back to do the horizontal cowl split. I ordered all the fiberglass materials, fit the cowl, installed the straps, and am ready to glass to the two halves together. I figured I would download the instructions for the split from the americansonexassociation.com website before I took the last step. Wouldn't you know it but the links for the instructions are no longer working. Does anybody have a copy they can e-mail me? I think I remember how this whole process works but I want to make sure before going past the point of no return.

Thanks,

Keith
kmacht

Re: Need horizontal split cowl information

Postby falvarez » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Keith...I downloaded a copy of it a while back, but I can't attach it to this post. Email me at sonex800 at comcast dot net and let me know what format you want it in and I'll send it to you.
Frank Alvarez
Sonex #800, Aerovee 2.1
Scratch Building (working on Cowl)
falvarez

Postby fastj22 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:27 pm

Here's my advice. Don't do it.
I'm pretty good with fiberglass and did the tape join vertically and then the cut horizonally. Got it real nice, but couldn't get the fasteners to effectively work properly and get a nice joint. Even tried piano hinge, and it was more work to take the damn thing off than the stock configuration. ALso had fits getting the prop hub area to align neatly. I ended up reglassing the sides and recutting the vertical joint. Everything is much simpler now and aligns properly. I did see a Sonex with the horiz cut at OSH this year and he did a fantastic job with it. Almost made me want to switch back. Almost.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby kmacht » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:41 pm

I tried again on my home computer and it downloaded this time. It must have just been an issue with google docs and the computer. I glassed the two halves together tonight and will be making the flange. The nice thing about fiberglass is that if something doesn't work you just glass it back together and start over. I'll report back here once the split is done and let you know how it works out

Keith
kmacht

Return to General Discussion