Swing Back Canopy

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Swing Back Canopy

Postby DuncanK » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:36 pm

The canopy is very flexible and from reading posts, obviously prone to failure for one reason or another. Hence I'd like to increase the stiffness and durability of my canopy during build. I have seen pictures of a swing back canopy but cannot find any info as to where to buy the modification. So two questions:
1. Does the swing back canopy work for a B Model?
2. Where do I buy/find-info on the swing back canopy?

Duncan
DuncanK

Re: Swing Back Canopy

Postby NWade » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:04 pm

DuncanK wrote:1. Does the swing back canopy work for a B Model?
2. Where do I buy/find-info on the swing back canopy?

Duncan -

The legacy ("A model") Sonex canopy is indeed a bit fragile. But the canopy was redesigned for the "B" model has a much better design & stronger canopy frame.

Take care,

--Noel
NWade

Postby fastj22 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:02 pm

There may be a B model swing back canopy. Haven’t gotten to that point but keeping it in mind. I really liked it on my A model.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Swing Back Canopy

Postby mfazio » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:13 pm

My canopy install on my A-model Waiex is around the corner and I would love to incorporate some of the mods to stiffen the canopy. It appears the rear frame is the same between the A and B models, the front frame would need to be reworked. Anyone have a chance to summarize the B model mods. I would love to get an idea of the dimensions of the new parts.

Mike Fazio
Chicago
Waiex #63

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mfazio

Postby Spaceman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:13 pm

I've been working on my canopy lately and there are some pics of the B-model frame on my blog (link in my signature). I'm out of town or I'd get some more detailed photos! The rear canopy bow is pretty dang stout though.
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby WaiexN143NM » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi Duncan,
To see the info on the swing back canopy go to the american sonex assoc home page. hit the link. above on ‘builders page’. it will have a link at the top about swing back canopy. hit the blue ‘dave augustine link. it will bring up a page with info, pic and links at the top to contact him and purchase.
this kit is for the legacy A model. im sure u could retrofit it to work on a B model.
good luck,
cheers

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Rynoth » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:30 pm

As someone who has the ASA swing back canopy on my legacy Waiex, I can tell you that all of the hinge mechanisms that attach to the fuselage are on forward part of the Aft fuselage and the top of the turtledeck, which i believe is identical to the B-model aft fuselage? The only real difference I can imagine with the installation is the 2 side swing arms would be straight, versus bent inwards to follow the inward-tapering longerons of the legacy models. I think converting this to B model would be fairly straightforward.

http://www.americansonexassociation.org ... gback.html
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby DuncanK » Sun May 05, 2019 11:04 pm

Thanks to all who have replied.
I understand that the B Model canopy is stiffer than the A Model but it is a large "sail" when it is open/opening. Earlier this year I emailed Dave Augustine but received no reply (I've recently tried again).
Duncan
DuncanK

Postby DuncanK » Tue May 07, 2019 9:48 am

Dave Augustine has replied that his swing back design does not fit the B Model.
I am toying with designs for a sliding canopy. The initial movement at the rear of the canopy has to be near vertical to clear the roll bar structure, so it is really a lift and slide design.
Duncan
DuncanK

Return to General Discussion