Exhaust Heat Containment

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Exhaust Heat Containment

Postby Rynoth » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:09 pm

WesRagle wrote:
It's kind of hard to tell from the pics, but there is a preferred edge to over lap. The edge that you want to cover up is the edge with the extra stitching. For some reason it leaves a lot of little frays.

That's interesting, I'd never considered overlapping one edge vs the other and that does make sense. However as soon as the engine is run the wrap is going to "bake" and harden, those frays will crisp up and I don't think there's any worry for unravelling down the road (probably looks better without them though.)

I could never figure out SS zip ties either (is a special tool required?) Ended up using hose clamps instead (a few extra ounces?)

Also a quick tip, if you're installing EGT probes in the exhaust, install them first, then wrap. Otherwise you may end up with a little exhaust leak if the probe is held off of the exhaust by the wrap.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby WesRagle » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:41 pm

Rynoth wrote:
That's interesting, I'd never considered overlapping one edge vs the other and that does make sense. However as soon as the engine is run the wrap is going to "bake" and harden, those frays will crisp up and I don't think there's any worry for unravelling down the road (probably looks better without them though.)

I could never figure out SS zip ties either (is a special tool required?) Ended up using hose clamps instead (a few extra ounces?)

Also a quick tip, if you're installing EGT probes in the exhaust, install them first, then wrap. Otherwise you may end up with a little exhaust leak if the probe is held off of the exhaust by the wrap.

Hi Ryan,

I'm sure that the exposed edge makes little to no difference in use. It's just that after wrapping two sections of pipe I noticed one looked better than the other and so I had to see why.

I think I'll use hose clamps as well. Some of the wrap backs up to a heat muff. I used the muff clamp on that end of the wrap. It's easy and very secure. I'm hoping that the wrap lasts longer than the EGT probes so I'm going to try clamping the probe on the outside of the wrap. Not ideal. I'll keep an eye on it.

We'll See,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WesRagle » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:51 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a little follow up.

Thanks to Bryan and Jeff for suggesting DEI Titanium header wrap. The stuff is easy to work with. However, I was unable to make friends with the stainless steel zip ties so I just used hose clamps.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Previous