Building a Sonex! Started a YouTube channel to document.

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Building a Sonex! Started a YouTube channel to document.

Postby Tyler » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:46 pm

Hello!

I've been a lurker here for a long time. Just recently bought a home with a shop. So with space to finally build a Sonex, I'm excited to get started.

In order to document my build, I've decided to post weekly videos (novel concept I'm sure). Really looking forward to learning a lot from everyone here and sharing all of my build mistakes. If any of you are interested in a Sonex build video series, I would love your feedback so I can incorporate those tips into my future videos.

At the moment I'm still renovating my shop and getting it all ready for the Sonex project. So not a whole lot of exciting action yet, but I'm looking forward to cracking open the kit in a couple weeks.

Thanks again!

Tyler

Re: Building a Sonex! Started a YouTube channel to document.

Postby Rynoth » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi Tyler, welcome! After viewing your videos I can tell you that if you put as much attention to detail into the Sonex project as your do your video production, you're going to do just fine... great vids!

As someone who kept up a detailed blog during the course of my build I can tell you that burnout can definitely be a thing, but at the same time putting the blog together helped to keep me motivated during the majority of my build. It's great that you will be able to build at home, makes life a lot easier when you can just walk across the house to check out an idea that popped into your head (this will happen often.)

Looking forward to your updates!
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:56 am

Rynoth wrote:Hi Tyler, welcome! After viewing your videos I can tell you that if you put as much attention to detail into the Sonex project as your do your video production, you're going to do just fine... great vids!

As someone who kept up a detailed blog during the course of my build I can tell you that burnout can definitely be a thing, but at the same time putting the blog together helped to keep me motivated during the majority of my build. It's great that you will be able to build at home, makes life a lot easier when you can just walk across the house to check out an idea that popped into your head (this will happen often.)

Looking forward to your updates!

Rynoth!

Thanks for the welcome and kind words! Really excited to be here. Yeah, having the shop right here next to the house I think is going to be huge. Also, I'm hoping the YouTube videos prove to be somewhat motivational during those burnout phases.

Thanks again! This is a great community. Can't wait to get in the air :)
Tyler

Postby Onex107 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:29 am

Like one of the other guys said, you will spend much more time building than you will flying the product of your hands. I said when I began that I didn't care if it never flew because the build was just as satisfying. And it was. I was fortunate to have an attached garage that was heated. I built a Onex in my half of a two car garage. My wife's car never moved. A definite plus. Being able to spend a couple of hours every night shortened the build time to around 1400 hours. Also, it's never too late to start. I was 82 when I built 107 and I'm flying it now at 87. 107 has accumulated 250 marvelous hours of flying nowhere in particular. I wish I was building again.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby SP1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:20 pm

This is awesome! Looking forward to seeing the videos
SP1

Postby Tyler » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Onex107 wrote:Like one of the other guys said, you will spend much more time building than you will flying the product of your hands. I said when I began that I didn't care if it never flew because the build was just as satisfying. And it was. I was fortunate to have an attached garage that was heated. I built a Onex in my half of a two car garage. My wife's car never moved. A definite plus. Being able to spend a couple of hours every night shortened the build time to around 1400 hours. Also, it's never too late to start. I was 82 when I built 107 and I'm flying it now at 87. 107 has accumulated 250 marvelous hours of flying nowhere in particular. I wish I was building again.

Onex107,

Your story is inspirational! Building a Onex at 82 is an incredible feat.

I'm hoping I can take a page out of your book and work on my project on a very regular basis. In fact, the YouTube channel is really a way to hold myself accountable. Looking forward to the day when I have 250 hours on my plane :)

Thanks for the comment!

Tyler
Tyler

Postby x3 skier » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Onex107 wrote: I said when I began that I didn't care if it never flew because the build was just as satisfying. Also, it's never too late to start. I was 82 when I built 107 and I'm flying it now at 87. 107 has accumulated 250 marvelous hours of flying nowhere in particular. I wish I was building again.

I was sometimes wondering if I was the oldest @76 with a Onex build but you’ve got me beat for sure.

Cheers
Onex 202, Finishing Fuselage Kit, Controls/Gear/Engine Config kit delivered.
x3 skier

Postby onex28 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:12 am

Way to go Morrie, I just flew the first flight in my Onex at 81. To others regardlesss of age, if you dream it build it.

David
Onex 28
Steam gauges
GRT EIS
V10
Sandia 165
LRI
onex28

Postby Darick » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:13 pm

I'm impressed with you young fellows building in your eighties! I'm 68 and thought that was good. Gives me hope that someday I'll build another one.
Excellent videos Tyler. Wish I knew how to attach videos from my channel.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby Gordon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Hey Morrie and David............

Great to see you "old timers" can still "get er done"..!

I started building my Onex at age 72 and 15 months later she flew....I am now 73. Those previous "RV builds" were good practice for building the Onex in a short amount of time.

The Onex is a pretty good airplane.....although it is not an RV.....but then it doesn't cost near as much either....so it's all good.

Bottom line........it's a great "bang for the buck"......no regrets.

Gordon......Hummel 2400......Onex....First flight... June 17, 2018
Gordon

Next

Return to General Discussion