Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Sonex-A purchase - What to look for

Postby BRS » Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:34 pm

BRS wrote:
DCASonex wrote:Using my Dyna-Vibe balancer with a wood Sensenich prop on my CAMit 3300, was able to bring it nicely in balance by just adding some large washers under the nuts of the prop bolts. That was about 3 or 4 years ago, time to do it again.

David A.

I've the same balancer. I should at least give it a try and see how far out of balance I am (the plane not me). Really though, in flight it feels smooth, it's just that if there is something to be tweaked (in a good way) why spend my time flying when I can find a reason to be wrenching. Ha.

Today I dusted off the DyaVibe installed two new 9v batteries. I really didn't 'feel' like doing a balance job since it all felt ok to me. I'm glad I did. The prop bolts have a diameter of only 4-3/8" so I was skeptical. The work started with the prop at 0.27 IPS (Inches Per Second) which is not awful. But by the time it balanced to 0.01 IPS the difference was noticeable. This should keep various parts happy longer. It just feels good to know how well balanced the prop now is instead of guessing.
Attachments
PropBalanceJune2024.jpg
Sensor mounting on Revmaster R2300
BalancedJun32024.jpg
DyaVibe Balance Report
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Kai » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:41 am

Brock,

You´re a better man than me! With a prop bolt DIAMETER of only 4-3/8 in, I´m surprised you managed to balance anything at all :-)
Kai

Postby BRS » Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:00 am

Kai wrote:Brock,

...With a prop bolt DIAMETER of only 4-3/8 in, I´m surprised you managed to balance anything at all :-)

Exactly! I didn't think it would work but in the end it was quite simple and worth the effort.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Previous

Return to Safety and Training