Exhaust routing

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Exhaust routing

Postby fastj22 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Thinking about how to vent the bad air out of the cowl on the new B model. Don't really want to penetrate the bottom of the cowl like the legacy A model or my Corvair inspired Speed Cowl (™). So looked at how the Jabiru Panther did it, he routed it down and out the bottom at the air exit like an RV8. BTW, I plan on doing the side exits as designed, but putting in an additional small belly exit too.

I currently have two short 1.5 inch diameter extensions about 8 inches long that are spring mounted on my Jabiru manifold that just penetrate the SpeedCowl(™). Thinking of replacing them with a custom bent extender that will bring both sides back together and route the two 1.5 pipes to the middle of the bottom of the firewall.

How? I know of a speed shop who does custom exhausts but will charge more than I want to spend. Midas? I can buy some pipe, a Harbor Freight pipe bender and make my own, or cobble together some preformed pipes from Summit Racing.

I'm crowd sourcing opinions here.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Exhaust routing

Postby caveman370 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:57 am

I bet Anthony at meadow lake could build you some extension’s like mine. Very reasonable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caveman370

Re: Exhaust routing

Postby lutorm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:21 am

If you're half decent at tig welding, you can get some preformed bends from burnsstainless.com and fabricate your own. I did that for my bike (and if I had more time I'd like to make a 4-1 collector system for the Aerovee too. :-)
lutorm

Re: Exhaust routing

Postby fastj22 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:53 pm

lutorm wrote:If you're half decent at tig welding, you can get some preformed bends from burnsstainless.com and fabricate your own. I did that for my bike (and if I had more time I'd like to make a 4-1 collector system for the Aerovee too. :-)

Not even quarter decent, but I do have MIG welder and can tack weld pieces to be taken to a artisan. Good advice.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B