B-Model Conversion Plans?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

B-Model Conversion Plans?

Postby sailorlee15 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm about to be the owner of an a-model kit that has been completed through the rear fuse and am wondering if one could do the b conversion by using a mixture of Sonex made parts and builder fabricated parts. I figure I could save a few thousand going this route. Do the plans enable a builder to fabricate the parts or are they only serviceable for assembling the kit that Sonex supplies?

I'm planning on calling Sonex tomorrow but thought this would be an interesting topic to chat about.

cheers,
Lee
Lee Cumberland
Sonex #1361
Frederick, MD
sailorlee15

Re: B-Model Conversion Plans?

Postby fastj22 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:36 pm

sailorlee15 wrote:Hi Everyone,
I'm about to be the owner of an a-model kit that has been completed through the rear fuse and am wondering if one could do the b conversion by using a mixture of Sonex made parts and builder fabricated parts. I figure I could save a few thousand going this route. Do the plans enable a builder to fabricate the parts or are they only serviceable for assembling the kit that Sonex supplies?

I'm planning on calling Sonex tomorrow but thought this would be an interesting topic to chat about.

cheers,
Lee

The B-model conversion kit will give you all the stuff needed to build the B-model (less hardware). Stuff that is shared by the A-model is reused (including angle, hinge, rivets, gussets, etc.) You won't be getting any of that. The B-model specific parts are identified in the conversion plans, but they come with the kit and you can't get the B-model conversion plans without buying the kit. Most are CNC aluminum billet stuff you'd have a difficult time recreating anyways. Looks like you are at a perfect place to make the conversion. I think its worth the cost and effort.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B