Viking Engine

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Viking Engine

Postby fastj22 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:30 pm

As Spock would say. Fascinating.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby fastj22 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:30 am

This is reminiscent of last years failed Viking Fit project. Taking another design and relabeling it his.
I'm sure the Monnets are not amused.
To me, it looks like a Zenith 650. He has moved the seat up at least 4 inches. Rollover protection is gone. Not sure how he plans to deal with the rudder pedals now that the pilots feet are probably out of reach of them.

He also makes some performance claims like better climb and STOL. How can he do that without actually flying it? Bigger prop only?

almost Makes me want to head down to Seabring to see it. He's gonna have a busy Christmas getting the company Waiex retrofitted by January.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby radfordc » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:37 am

fastj22 wrote:To me, it looks like a Zenith 650. He has moved the seat up at least 4 inches. Rollover protection is gone. Not sure how he plans to deal with the rudder pedals now that the pilots feet are probably out of reach of them.

I don't think the seat is moved? The description says only a new canopy and motor mount.
radfordc

Postby fastj22 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:47 am

look closely at the drawings. The pilot's head is well above the turtle deck. This also allows the elbows to be at the longerons, giving more cabin space. He claims better visibility, which is true.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby radfordc » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:32 pm

fastj22 wrote:look closely at the drawings. The pilot's head is well above the turtle deck. This also allows the elbows to be at the longerons, giving more cabin space. He claims better visibility, which is true.

I see the drawing....but, if he doesn't provide any parts except the new canopy, and if you start with a normal Sonex how does the seat get changed?
radfordc

Postby kmacht » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:33 pm

About the only thing that looks sonex like on that plane is the rear fuselage. The wings even look too high on the side view. On the sonex the spar is only an inch from the bottom of the fuselage. Should be interesting what the real thing looks like. Should also be interesting to see if the prototype flies into Sebring or if he trailers it in.

Keith
kmacht

Postby vigilant104 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:00 pm

kmacht wrote:About the only thing that looks sonex like on that plane is the rear fuselage. The wings even look too high on the side view.

Is that the answer to the seat mystery? Did the seats have to go up because the wing (and spar carry-through) is higher? Is the tunnel more forward, too? (to address a CG issue?)
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby fastj22 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:58 pm

I didn't catch the wing position. I think he doesn't have an accurate 3-view of the Sonex to work from and probably just drew it himself.
Either that or if you convert to a Viking Sport, you will need to re-rig the entire wing with a whole new spar box. Its not impossible, but also not a minor builder "enhancement". He did claim to make a wing incidence adjustment in the factory Waiex. Very interesting development.

The people sit very high in the drawing. I think you need that height if you want the elbow room. If accurate, it would require some modifications to the panel cross tie too. Your legs would probably hit it.

One point in his announcement was a higher thrust line for the engine. Pure speculation but in his quest to correct some trim issues with the Waiex, he raised it and found it solved the trim problem, but the result wasn't visually appealing with the stock windshield and canopy. So he improvised and solved the cramped cockpit at the same time.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby rizzz » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:47 pm

fastj22 wrote:One point in his announcement was a higher thrust line for the engine. Pure speculation but in his quest to correct some trim issues with the Waiex, he raised it and found it solved the trim problem, but the result wasn't visually appealing with the stock windshield and canopy. So he improvised and solved the cramped cockpit at the same time.

His trim issues are indeed the reason for all this, apart from estetics I think his solution of raising the engine would seriously compromise forward/downward visibility, hence the change in seating position, canopy etc.
One thing is for sure, Jan is a true experimenter learning trough trial and error, unfortunately his customers are also forced down this path until he gets it right...
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby rizzz » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:34 pm

More news on the "Viking Sport" (a Sonex/Waiex redesigned to hopefully work better with a Viking engine hung in front of it):
http://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/news.htm
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

PreviousNext

Return to Other Engines