Selling My Sonex Project

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Selling My Sonex Project

Postby Andy Walker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Hey All...

After doing some soul-searching, I've decided to stop building and sell my Sonex project. I was originally hoping this would be a two to three year project, and after two and a half years I'm guessing that it's going to take me double that time. I started building because I want to fly, and I want to get back to that part of it. I can't really afford to be a builder and a pilot at the same time, so I have to pick one. I've lost a lot of my motivation to build in the last few months, and have been making little progress. I'd rather let the work I've done get into the air with somebody else than collect dust.

Here's the link to the Barnstormers ad...if a member of this board is interested, I'm prepared to offer a significant discount.

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_720012_Sonex+Project.html
Andy Walker

Re: Selling My Sonex Project

Postby Mike53 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Sorry to here that Andy.At the end of the day you are right ,we just want to fly.I personally handle it by flying 1 hour a month to keep my hand in it.It's a 150 rental and costs me $118 .I also understand about keeping motivation up for the build.Not always easy to do especially when there are glitches.I constantly remind myself that my Onex will always be an asset and when it's done I will be able to fly more than I could ever afford otherwise.
I wonder if you were just buying the kit now and were able to get the pre punched parts as they are offered for the Sonex now, if it would have been the same ?
Best of luck in your future endeavors.
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Selling My Sonex Project

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:44 pm

No! Say it ain't so!

Best of luck with the sale Andy, I know this could not have been an easy decision.

Robbie
Sonex 1517

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Andy Walker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Mike53 wrote:Sorry to here that Andy.At the end of the day you are right ,we just want to fly.I personally handle it by flying 1 hour a month to keep my hand in it.It's a 150 rental and costs me $118 .I also understand about keeping motivation up for the build.Not always easy to do especially when there are glitches.I constantly remind myself that my Onex will always be an asset and when it's done I will be able to fly more than I could ever afford otherwise.
I wonder if you were just buying the kit now and were able to get the pre punched parts as they are offered for the Sonex now, if it would have been the same ?
Best of luck in your future endeavors.
Mike

That might have made a difference, Mike. I have not really been happy with the amount of fabrication involved in this kit. I think Sonex soft-sells that part a little bit. If everything was ready to go, like in an RV-12 kit, it would definitely cut out some of the frustrations. But then it would cost a lot more too...
Andy Walker

Postby Andy Walker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Sonex1517 wrote:No! Say it ain't so!

Best of luck with the sale Andy, I know this could not have been an easy decision.

Robbie
Sonex 1517

Yeah Robbie, I've been kicking it around for some time. Not easy at all.

So, do you want a nice almost done fuselage to go with your wings? ;)
Andy Walker

Postby fastj22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Boy those demons keep circling.
I quit flying myself 6 months ago to focus on finishing the waiex. Now I am close to getting ready for the inspection and first flight. I need to do my BFR soon and will probably do an intensive session with the instructor to not only cover my BFR but also run through lots of issues with the first flight. Right now I don't feel comfortable taking a plane up solo.

I do understand that building a Sonex and probably any kit plane is extremely tedious. I was warned when I started my build, do you want to build or fly? I wanted to do both. I'll push through. Just moved the plane to the airport. Wings are installed. I'm getting close. Maybe in a month.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby 142YX » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:15 am

Andy Walker wrote:I have not really been happy with the amount of fabrication involved in this kit. I think Sonex soft-sells that part a little bit. If everything was ready to go, like in an RV-12 kit, it would definitely cut out some of the frustrations. But then it would cost a lot more too...

Ain't that the truth. I also had a bit of a misconception over the amounts of manual fabrication hours that i would be spending with this kit when i first started. I have a friend who built and now fly's an RV-8, and he was absolutely shocked when i showed him how many little intricate brackets i had fabricated. At this point i am convinced that an RV kit is "easier" to build than a Sonex kit. There are different skill sets between the two, but in terms of aluminum part fabrication.. Sonex puts the RV's to shame. I, of course, am only talking about the "no spar, no pre-made parts" option kit that i bought. It almost makes my stomach churn seeing the new kits be "clecoed together in 2.5 hours!"

Am i glad that i did it? - Absolutely yes. I value very much the experience that i have gained through this process. I feel like i could build anything in the world out of aluminum now, and it puts a lot of things into perspective for me. Plus i can forever say that "i did it!".

Will i ever do it again? - Absolutely no. I would love to build another airplane after this one.. maybe even another aluminum airplane.. but it will absolutely be the quick-biuld option for me. Time is worth a lot of money when you are talking about a couple of years of your life.

I am sorry to see you sell the kit, and i am sure it must have been a difficult decision for you. I would love to attempt to talk you out of it.. but i am not sure that is the right thing to do. Best of luck.
Waiex # 142 - Taildragger, Jabiru 3300
First Flight - July 13th, 2015
450 hours and counting..
142YX

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm sorry to hear it Andy but I completely understand. These things always take longer than people expect when they begin. I also agree that Sonex, at least the older kits, are not as easy to build verses kits like the RV-12. I can understand however, since the Sonex kit is 25-30% cheaper. I am jealous of the new kits with the match hole capability... I think that was an excellent idea by Sonex and should put their kits on par with Vans RV kits.

So what's the plan now Andy? Sell the kit and find a flying one?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Andy Walker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:45 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:I'm sorry to hear it Andy but I completely understand. These things always take longer than people expect when they begin. I also agree that Sonex, at least the older kits, are not as easy to build verses kits like the RV-12. I can understand however, since the Sonex kit is 25-30% cheaper. I am jealous of the new kits with the match hole capability... I think that was an excellent idea by Sonex and should put their kits on par with Vans RV kits.

So what's the plan now Andy? Sell the kit and find a flying one?

The plan is to find a flying *something*, not sure what yet. I'd love to get a used Flight Design CTSW, but that may be out of my price range. I'm looking at all possibilities, but I want something I can actually go places in, that has a radio and ideally a transponder...I'm a Sport Pilot, so it has to be compliant with those rules. I'll look at Sonex/Waiex, Rans S-7, Remos G600, CTSW, and whatever else looks interesting. Where I land all depends on what my finances look like in a few months.

I would like to build again, I enjoyed it. Maybe down the road I can build something a little easier, if I have something already already flying it's a lot less pressure to build fast. Maybe a Onex?
Andy Walker

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:30 pm

That sounds like a good plan Andy. From what I can see, with the economy in its current state I bet you could get some good deals. I don't know if you'd have any interest in it, but I've heard of a tri gear Waiex with COMM and txpndr coming up for sale. It's a very nice example built by an engineer. Let me know if you'd like more info.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Next

Return to General Discussion