Difference between Sonex and Waiex

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Postby dannyrsanch » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Hey guys Im going to become a new flyer in april for light sport and looking into buying a Waiex for my first plane. When i was flying with my instructor i spoke with him about buying the Waiex and he told me that i would regret it. Something about being expensive to fly it due to the Y wing. So does anyone have any comment or different views on this subject. Please let me know before i buy. Im stuck on a Sonex so i wont be buying anything else. Thanks guys.

Soon to be a Sonex owner,

Danny
dannyrsanch

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Hi Danny and welcome to the forum and Sonex community!

I am still building so I can't speak from hands on experience, but this is the first I have heard of that.

Both aircraft are economical to operate. I can't think of why one would more expensive than another...

There are a couple folks here with Waiex and lots of experience so I hope they will chime in here...

blue skies and welcome aboard!!

Robbie
Sonex 1517

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Difference between Sonex and Waiex

Postby N111YX » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:40 pm

I would get a new instructor...:)

I can't understand why an instructor would think that a tail configuration would be more expensive to fly so I would suggest asking the reasons behind it. Also, remind him or her that they should be able to tell you "why" concering any relevant topic during instruction. "Just because" does not cut it.

As for the Waiex/Sonex difference, the only thing that many pilots (including myself) have found is that the Waiex has less crossswind capability than a Sonex, at least with regards to conventional landing gear.

Welcome to the site...!
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1100 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:47 am

Hello Danny,

Welcome! Just like Kip, I too have a Waiex and just like Kip, I also recommend a new instructor! :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, you will find that a lot of pilots are, for some reason, scared of homebuilt aircraft and as a result have a negative opinion of them. I've heard stories similar to yours more than once and there's never any facts to support such claims.

I love my Waiex and also 100% support what Kip said...other than a reduced crosswind capability, the Waiex and Sonex are the same plane. Pick one based on how much you like the looks...you can't go wrong either way!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby dannyrsanch » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Well thanks for the replies guys. I am still going to buy one i fell in love with them so im stuck. My only question really on the plane or should i say power system itself is that it has a AreoVee in it and i live in Colorado so im hoping that the high altitude wont effect the power that much. I plan on using it for fun flying and some cross country with the wife.
dannyrsanch

Postby rizzz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:19 pm

dannyrsanch wrote:When i was flying with my instructor i spoke with him about buying the Waiex and he told me that i would regret it. Something about being expensive to fly it due to the Y wing.

That's funny, you would actually think the opposite to be true. Even though the effect would be extremely small, the Y-Tail configuration should produce less drag.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby 142YX » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:47 pm

rizzz wrote:
dannyrsanch wrote:When i was flying with my instructor i spoke with him about buying the Waiex and he told me that i would regret it. Something about being expensive to fly it due to the Y wing.

That's funny, you would actually think the opposite to be true. Even though the effect would be extremely small, the Y-Tail configuration should produce less drag.

The Y-tail surfaces are larger than just two vertical stabilizers on a Sonex. In order to get the same control authority as the conventional tail, they have to contribute the same net wetted area for the two axis, and would have the same parasitic drag. And because the rest of the airplane is exactly the same, the same contribution of the tail down force during flight must be achieved, giving both tails the same induced drag. The two tails are more alike than you would think!

One interesting argument, however, is that three 120 degree angles will contribute net less interference drag than four, 90 degree angles.. so the Waiex just might be a little bit faster for this reason :D

But Danny, i agree with everyone else. Your instructor might have just been shooting from the hip without really thinking about what he was saying.. I cant say he is "wrong", because he is not even in the ballpark of making any sense!
Waiex # 142 - Taildragger, Jabiru 3300
First Flight - July 13th, 2015
450 hours and counting..
142YX

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:03 pm

dannyrsanch wrote: My only question really on the plane or should i say power system itself is that it has a AreoVee in it and i live in Colorado so im hoping that the high altitude wont effect the power that much. I plan on using it for fun flying and some cross country with the wife.

Just my opinion Danny but if you're operating with two people on a normal basis out of Colorado, you may want to consider looking for a Waiex with the Jabiru 3300. The stock AeroVee would probably be adequate, but without the turbo system the company is slowly toying with, you'll like the plane more with the more powerful Jabiru. I'm mostly happy with my AeroVee but I fly 98% of the time by myself, in Ohio which is only at 1000' MSL.

Where in Colorado are you located? I fly into BJC fairly often and was just out in GJT over the holidays a few times. Beautiful area.

Good luck!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby dannyrsanch » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:50 pm

Hey thanks Michael. Im in STK. Well im hoping that they due come up with that turbo soon but till then ill have to fly solo a lot more till either im able to sell the engine and put that in to buy the 3300.. I was also reading up with the great plains motors also. But again i guess i wont know till i get the plane so till then just hopes and dreams.
dannyrsanch

Postby fastj22 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 am

I'm at KFLY. Hope to be flying in a few weeks. I went through the same dilemma but couldn't wait or depend on a turbo coming soon. My hangar mate has a Jab3300 also.
His plane performs great up here.
There is an aerovee Sonex based at KBJC.
KFLY is 6800ft. and I've had a C150 before and know how anemic it is when the DA gets above 8000ft.
You are at 4000ft so 80HP should be fine, especially solo. I remember flying my C150 up to Cabelas and the difference was enormous compared to my home field.

KSTK is within my proposed test area. I plan on doing some runs up there during phase 1. Let us know when you have the plane.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Next

Return to General Discussion