New Builder

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

New Builder

Postby sonex 1614 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:56 pm

I took the plunge and purchased the plans for a Sonex. I have been spending the past two days glued to them to try to make some sense of what I have gotten myself into! I am assuming as I begin using the plans things should make more sense. Been browsing some of the threads, looks like a ton of great stuff here!

Tony
Tony

Sonex 1614
Chicago Area
sonex 1614

Re: New Builder

Postby falvarez » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:46 pm

Welcome aboard! Don't feel bad if the plans look a bit intimidating at first...we've all been there. You'll find out quickly that they are very complete and become more intuitive as you work through them more. Don't hesitate to ask questions along the way...there will be plenty of things that make you scratch your head, but some simple guidance or a picture from another builder is all it takes to overcome the hurdle.
Frank Alvarez
Sonex #800, Aerovee 2.1
Scratch Building (working on Cowl)
falvarez

Postby fastj22 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:58 pm

I initially found the plans to be lacking any instruction on how to build the plane. But after going through a few build pages, it started clicking and I looked forward to next page. Now after completing my plane, I can't think of a better way to organize the plans. They provide everything you need to know on how to build a Sonex Just don't overlook the details. They are there and they are important. Sometimes they just seem to hide.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

New Builder

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:12 pm

Welcome to the clan Tony!

You'll find the plans a bit intimidating at first, but you will soon find they make sense and have most, if not all, of the information you need.

You already know you have a strong local community to help, and here you will find an online group of fellow Sonex addicts.

Once you go to the workshop you will have an even better understanding of a lot of what goes into the build process.

Great seeing you here!!

Robbie
Sonex 1517

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby EricS » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:24 am

Welcome Tony! As everyone has already said, the plans will start to make more sense once you get started actually making parts and building assemblies. Sonex's theory on the plans is that you should complete one page at a time and not jump ahead. On the drawing tree sheet you will start at the bottom and work your way up.

Kerry Fores gives a great presentation during the workshop in Oshkosh on how to effectively use the plans during your build. I attended the workshop last October and it provided me with a good foundation to start from.

Don't hesitate to post a question on this forum. Everyone is very helpful. Happy building!
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
http://www.mykitlog.com/EricS/
EricS

Postby sonex 1614 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks for all of the responses. I have some time after work today to have a cup of coffee and lay the plans out to take another look. Once more question... Any suggestions on which online build log to use? Is anyone using a different online source to log their build?

Thanks in advance!
Tony

Sonex 1614
Chicago Area
sonex 1614

Postby EricS » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:43 pm

I'm using Kit Log Pro. It's a desktop based version that gives you the option to publish your log to the web (PC only, don't think they support MAC). I think it's about $50 and is really user friendly. Some other builders have used Expercraft. I think they have a free version if you want ads on your site. Both work well from what I've seen and heard.
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
http://www.mykitlog.com/EricS/
EricS

Postby lucio » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:26 pm

HI there
I would like to do the same (buy plans) but in Europe we cannot do that, i.e. we can buy only kits
A guy I know bought a copy of plans to start thinking about the Sonex and I was tempted to do the same.
Here in Europe we can buy everything: spars in 3 length (3,6-4-4,4 mt) cowling, tips, tanks and real wing tips (for a little wider airplane).
Since I made my choice to build a Sonex I planned to make everything original, but as today I cannot afford to buy a kit so I will wait. This is pity though as I cannot ubderstand the reason of this policy of the company.
Safe flights
Lucio
lucio

Postby fastj22 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:31 pm

sonex 1614 wrote:Thanks for all of the responses. I have some time after work today to have a cup of coffee and lay the plans out to take another look. Once more question... Any suggestions on which online build log to use? Is anyone using a different online source to log their build?

Thanks in advance!

Check out this excel spread sheet.
I found it on Sonex Talk. The author did a great job detailing each step on each page. Just put in the time you spent on each step. I passed my DAR inspection with it. Haven't gone before the FAA go get my repairman's certificate yet, but I hope it will be sufficient to prove I built the plane.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/mGpCUWx7ss ... %20Log.xls

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby rizzz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:33 pm

sonex 1614 wrote:Thanks for all of the responses. I have some time after work today to have a cup of coffee and lay the plans out to take another look. Once more question... Any suggestions on which online build log to use? Is anyone using a different online source to log their build?

Thanks in advance!

I use Kitlog like a lot of people do but on the side I have a number of spreadsheets that allow me to track the parts I build, tools & materials required in which phases of the build, track the (remaining) costs, what still to order from whom etc.

I tried to attach the files to the post but it tells me "the xls extension is not allowed".
Send me a private message if you'd like a copy.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Next

Return to General Discussion