Sport Acro?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Sport Acro?

Postby Andy Walker » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:57 am

Is anybody planning to build the Sport Acro (larger ailerons) option on their Sonex/Waiex? The factory claims the handling is identical, except for a higher roll rate on the SA. They even claim the SA might be a bit *more* stable because of the larger forces needed to move the ailerons. I'm skeptical of these claims, but have no experience. Has anyone flown in a SA plane, or have any further information on it? I'd probably do it if I were convinced there really is no downside, but I still need that convincing. :?
Andy Walker

Re: Sport Acro?

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:43 pm

I thought about the acro mod for a bit but after watching Tony Spicers video I decided that the stock set up provides plenty of authority. I'm not a huge acro guy to begin with so I wanted the larger flaps anyway. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has done this mod.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby fastj22 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:02 pm

The partially completed kit I purchased was already committed to the sport acro mods.
You definitely lose flaps and the ailerons seem way too big.
I expect the plane to be very sensitive to roll inputs and a bit faster on landings, but I'm OK with that.
Someone on the Yahoo site posted a video of their first rolls with the sport ailerons. They said they didn't use full throws and the roll rate was very good.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby sonex892 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:21 am

I cant comment on the sport acro ailerons as I have the standard ones on mine. John Monnet compares compares the sport acro to the Sonerai 1 roll rate. I built and then flew a Sonerai 2LS for a few years and the roll rate on it was outstanding, a lot of fun. The sonex flies very much the same at the sonerai with only a couple of differences. Roll rate is not as quick and not as light on controls as the sonerai but, even with standard ailerons the Sonex roll rate is still pretty damned good. The acro ailerons will comprimise the stall speed and landing distance, just how much I dont know.

Steve
Sonex 892
3300 70hrs
sonex892

Postby rizzz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:59 pm

I visited a fellow Sonex builder ah while ago who is a very experienced pilot and is also an instructor and he has flown other people's Sonex's on numerous occasions. He's also done some first flights for other builders.
He's now building his own Sonex and he's building his with the acro ailerons.
He explained that he found the Sonex to be extremely pitch sensitive, much more than it is roll sensitive.
Therefore he went with the acro ailerons so he could get the pitch vs. roll senstivity more in balance with each other.

I guess I can see the logic in his reasoning, but at the time I had this conversation with this particular builder, my aileron and flap skins were already cut to size so I'll be going with the std. aileron configuration anyway.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Andy Walker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:40 am

I was really curious more than anything...I don't want to give up the effective flaps the Sonex has, and I doubt seriously that I'd ever make much use of the extra roll authority anyway. Maybe what the Sonex needs is full span flaperons. :lol:
Andy Walker

Postby N111YX » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:01 am

I would like to "try before I buy" with the acro ailerons. The Kolb folks shortened the ailerons on the Firestar and the roll rate improved! Ailerons create drag, too...:)
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1100 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby Andy Walker » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:29 am

N111YX wrote:I would like to "try before I buy" with the acro ailerons. The Kolb folks shortened the ailerons on the Firestar and the roll rate improved! Ailerons create drag, too...:)

Good point! It's definitely true that all the surfaces of aircraft interact in often unpredictable ways.
Andy Walker

Return to General Discussion